Kindergarten is an important, fun and rewarding step in a child’s educational journey, but starting kindergarten can be intimidating to a child who isn’t prepared for it. That is why it’s important to choose a preschool or pre-k program that fully prepares your child for kindergarten. A well-rounded kindergarten readiness program should accomplish the following:
- Build your child’s confidence through playful learning activities;
- Promote communication between the home and the preschool, which helps to establish a home-school connection. A strong home-school connection helps children have greater success academically, behaviorally and socially;
- Be taught by a credentialed teacher;
- Transition your child into a more structured schedule;
- Encourage your child to focus, manage time well and complete assigned tasks, which may include homework;
- Help you and your child adjust to kindergarten requirements, such as completing work in a timely manner, being on time and attending school every day.